Although it was reserved almost exclusively for women for a long time, cosmetic surgery is now increasingly aimed at men. They currently account for up to 25% of the demand, and male plastic surgery went up by 43% in 2017!
Men are not becoming more feminine, but they are concerned with their image, with what their appearance reflects. They want to be attractive, to counter the effects of time, to stay in the race. This makes them aware of how important being well groomed and good-looking can be.
What Are the Most Common Cosmetic Surgery Procedures for Men?
Be it for professional or personal reasons, the most common surgical procedures address the face or the figure, with a significant interest in male pattern baldness, in the eyelids, in wrinkles, and in facelifts. Pectoral implants, gynaecomastia, the chest area, liposuction, along with the belly, nose, and ears also garner much attention.
The genitals are among the body parts that can benefit from male plastic surgery as well. For instance, the interventions in question could be the following:
- Penoplasty: Penoplasty is also known as penis enlargement surgery. The goal may be to increase its length (length enhancement penoplasty), and/or its girth (girth enhancement penoplasty). Penis enlargement is achieved through lipofilling. This technique is used for male plastic surgery in Paris and consists in extracting fat from another body part through liposuction, and to reinject it in the penis. It may be necessary to centrifuge the extracted fat cells to separate them from any impurities prior to reinjecting them. Autografting is safe is very well tolerated by the body. There is no risk of rejection or allergy.
- Scrotal lift: Scrotal lift or scrotal remodelling is one of the surgical interventions performed by Doctor Vincent Masson. This procedure for male plastic surgery in Paris consists – as the name indicates – in tightening the skin around the testicles (the scrotum) to lift them back up. The treatment may be conducted under local anaesthesia with sedation, or under general anaesthesia. Scrotoplasty can be coupled with a penis enlargement procedure.
Several other surgical procedures are much requested by men. Male face cosmetic surgery, male tummy tuck and male pectoral surgery are only some of the operations performed by Doctor Vincent Masson in Paris.
Male Pattern Baldness Surgery
Male pattern baldness is a phenomenon that affects up to 30% of men. The causes for male pattern baldness vary. Genetic factors, tobacco consumption, as well as some chronic diseases may lead to hair loss. Male pattern baldness plastic surgery restores hair density, and the same method can also be used to enhance the density of men’s beards.
The treatment for male pattern baldness includes several types of procedures:
- Scalp reconstruction using flaps: This technique is performed under local anaesthesia and the procedure should be done by an experienced cosmetic surgeon. It consists in cutting and pasting a local flap directly onto the bald area. A recovery period of a few days may be necessary before going back to work.
- The FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant) method: This technique relies on the extraction of a strip of scalp from the back of the head, just above the nape in the occipital area. Follicular units containing 3 to 4 hairs will then be created, and then transplanted to the bald area where treatment is required. This procedure is suitable for patients looking to resort to male plastic surgery to cover extensive baldness on a budget.
- The FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) method: This method for the treatment of male pattern baldness through cosmetic surgery is especially suitable for patients who wish to wear their hair quite short. It is recommended to patients whose baldness extends on a small area and who want to get back to work quickly. It consists in extracting follicular units one by one using microsurgical equipment and in re-implanting them one by one. This type of hair graft is performed under local anaesthesia and takes 5 to 8 hours on average.
- Artas robotic hair transplant: This innovative technique allows practitioners and patients to experience the exceptional performance of robotic grafting. The Artas robot performs hair grafts using artificial intelligence to analyse the hair and pinpoint the most suitable units to extract. This method makes male plastic surgery safer by minimising the risk of implant rejection and greatly improves patient comfort.
Male gynaecomastia corresponds to the overdevelopment or enlargement of the chest area in men. It can be bilateral or unilateral and is either due to the abnormal development of the mammary gland, or to excess fat in overweight men. Male plastic surgery in Paris can target this area of the body and correct the increase in volume affecting the chest.
This gynaecomastia treatment or “adipomastia liposuction” offers excellent results. For glandular issues, it relies on the direct surgical excision of the excess gland, leaving a discrete scar concealed under the areola. For fat-related issues, it can also be done through liposuction and involves micro-incisions underneath the chest. Both of these techniques may also be combined.
This type of male plastic surgery in Paris takes anywhere between 45 minutes and 2 hours depending on the surgical method used by the surgeon. It is typically performed under general anaesthesia and, in some cases, may be covered by your national health service.
Male Tummy Tuck
The abdominal zone counts as one of the most crucial aspects of male beauty standards. In male plastic surgery, the belly and hip areas are therefore the subject of much attention.
Men who suffer from fatty deposits around the abdomen can turn to liposuction. Liposuction is a highly effective technique which is used to treat excess fat located anywhere on the body. When suitable, liposuction offers outstanding results in men.
Abdominoplasty is a plastic surgery procedure which can be performed on men, also offering excellent results. It is appropriate in cases where there is sagging or hanging skin around the belly. This can happen after any significant weight loss or following an operation to treat obesity. Male plastic surgery in Paris can be used to eliminate excess skin and recover adequate comfort in the abdominal region.
Depending on the patient’s objectives and on the condition of their skin, the cosmetic surgeon will select the most suitable procedure.
Facial Male Plastic Surgery
Fascial plastic surgery for men counts among the most common types of cosmetic interventions.
As for anti-ageing cosmetic surgery, it appeals to men looking to appear more youthful.
- Hyaluronic acid injections: Hyaluronic acid injections are used to fill up wrinkles and to plump up some areas of the face. In addition, both men and women can turn to this product to improve the quality of their skin in some problematic zones.
- Botox injections: Male cosmetic medicine uses Botox to rejuvenate the face by smoothing out the wrinkles. This type of injection is recommended to make expression wrinkles less noticeable or to make them disappear altogether on the forehead, and around the mouth and eyes.
Rhinoplasty, face and neck soft lift, as well as male plastic surgery targeting the eyelids are all procedures routinely performed by Doctor Vincent Masson in Paris.